6/20/11
After Brynn's accident, I was worried about how I was going to get to Utah that weekend. I had just bought tickets home for the 4th of July and couldn't afford to fly there last minute. I was prepared to drive through the night but my dad was not liking that idea. Well... blessing of all blessings! A group of my friends here in California got together and chipped in to purchase plane tickets so I could attend the funeral. I've never experienced such kindness! It meant the world to me to be able to fly home on short notice to be with my gfs. A friend recently told me that it's during the hard times you find out who your real friends are. It is so true. I have been shown so much love and support in these last few weeks (and month) that I will never ever forget.
The funeral was on Saturday and that night all of the girls stayed in the fancy Grand America Hotel downtown. It was a very long and emotional week so it was nice to just talk and laugh together all night long. And jump on the bed of course. I'm so grateful we have each other.
My sweet grandma is so thoughtful and cut out this poem for me. I think it's just perfect and I've read it so many times in the last week. It wasn't written by anyone in the church but it goes along so well with what we believe.
Death is nothing at all.
I have only slipped away into the next room.
I am I, and you are you,
Whatever we were to each other, that we are still.
Call me by the old familiar name.
Speak of me in the easy way which you always used.
Put no difference into your tone.
Wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow.
Laugh as we always laughed.
At the little jokes that we enjoyed together.
Play, smile, think of me, pray for me.
Let my name be ever the household
word that is always was.
word that is always was.
Let it be spoken without an effort,
Without the ghost of a shadow upon it.
Life means all that it ever meant.
It is the same as it ever was.
There is absolute and unbroken continuity.
What is death but a negligible accident?
What is death but a negligible accident?
Why should I be out of mind because I am out of sight?
I am but waiting for you, for an interval,
Somewhere very near,
Just around the corner.
All is well.
--Henry Scott Holland
4 comments:
that poem is absolutely beautiful and i am forever grateful for your friends for being the best people alive. i'm so glad you were able to come out! love you, amanda!
love you bff.
p.s. my socked feet in the photo = photo ruined. sorry...
love that poem. And all your cali friends for making it possible to be here with us.
miss you.
What a great poem!!
Post a Comment